VCC GAFF30YD Premium Grade 30 Yard Gaffers Tape is a premium-grade vinyl coated cloth gaffer’s tape used in A/V, TV, photography and motion picture industries to hold wires, light and props. Will not leave adhesive residue behind when removed. NOTES: Sizes shipped will typically be the tape industry standard metric-cut sizes, i.e. 24mm for each 1 inch of nominal tape width ordered (rolls are approximately 5% narrower than the nominal size). This product’s actual size is 48mm x 27m.
- Adhesive: natural rubber
- Backing/Carrier: vinyl coated cloth
- Thickness: 12 mils (total)
- Adhesion: 50 ounces per inch (to stainless steel)
- Tensile Strength: 44 pounds per inch (longitudinal)
If you are a man, you already love tape, and gaffer tape is like the unicorn of tape. If you are a woman, gift this to the closest man in your life and he will surely reward you with a massage and a car wash.
The worst thing about gaffer tape is that it runs out so quickly because I wind up using it so much. It is made so that you can place it on your gear and it will not leave residue when pulled off. I have use gaffer tape for so many different things, here is a short list of ideas.
- Light Stands – Placing a strip of gaffer around the 5/8″ stud on the top of a light stand will keep your lights from rotating when they are attached. This is especially helpful when using booms.
- Light Stands – Have you ever burned your hand from grabbing a light stand that has been in your car in the sun? Light stands freezing cold after shooting outside? Just wrap a few strands of tape around the main section of your light stand to make a “grip” that will help for temperature variations as well as make it nicer to hold.
- Flags – You can use a few pieces of gaffer tape on the side of a light to create a flag or barn doors.
- Snoot – You can make a snoot for anything with gaffer tape alone.
- Cables – Tape your cables onto the floor to keep people from tripping over them and sending your gear crashing to the ground.
- Inventing – Want your camera to have an espresso maker attached? Just tape the two together!
- Boobs – Place a small amount of tape over the nipples of a topless model to help them feel more comfortable. (like pasties)
- Backdrops – Tape them to the floor
- Gels – Tape gels over your lights if you do not have the time or resources to use gel holders.
- Labeling – Place tape on your equipment and write on the tape, White Out Pens work well.
- Impressing Girls - Does not work.
- Gaffer tape comes in different widths, meaning less overlapping.
- Cost - Gaffer tape is on the expensive side as far as tapes go. If you are looking for something that doesn’t mark for less go with painters tape. it is not as durable, but will work.
- Envy - Everyone around you will want to be the guy who has all the cool gaffer tape.
Go with a good brand of gaffer tape, the less expensive tape will leave a residue, making it pretty much useless.