The Gorillapod SLR-Zoom* is our new heavy-duty version, designed with the serious photographer in mind. It attaches to SLRs (with zoom lenses!), video cameras, and your own tripod head, and can support a whopping 6.6 pounds (3kg)!
- Flexible tripod designed for digital SLRs or camcorders weighing up to 6.6 pounds (3 kilograms)
- Fits into your purse, backpack, or roomy jacket pocket
- Innovative segmented leg design to ensure secure mounting
- Standard universal 1/4-20 screw for attaching your camera to the tripod mount (or use your own tripod head); 1/4-to-3/8-inch adapter included
- Expands creative options, or lets everyone get into self-timer shots
The Gorilla Pod is a tripod with flexible legs that allow it to grip and wrap around objects. Joby makes different versions of the Gorilla Pod, there are smaller ones for point and shoots, as well as large tripods for DSLRs.
I love this thing. If I am packing light for a trip, the Gorilla Pod goes in my bag every time. It is sturdy enough to stand on a table and support the weight of a DSLR and a small lens, which is perfect for travel. Most tripods have legs that extend that allow the camera to be far off the ground. The legs on the Gorilla Pod don’t extend, so if you need to get your camera higher than a foot off the ground, you will need to wrap its legs around something.
This tripod id perfect for traveling as long as you are going to the right places. Because the tripod relies on its ability to grip things to be useful, it is best in a place like a forest. If you are going to a beach or a desert where there is not going to be much for the tripod to hold to, you will probably be better off with a tripod like the Manfrotto 055XPROB.
I like figuring out new places to use this things, and am always excited when it works out. One of my more recent discoveries was to grip the Gorilla Pod around a tree branch hanging upside down. Most branches aren’t strong enough to support the tripod being right side up, so instead you can flip it, let it hang, take your photos, and flip them back in photoshop!
- Cost - Not only is this tripod very versatile but it is also inexpensive compared to larger tripods.
- CineSkates - This company got their start with KickStarter making wheels and suction cups for the Gorilla Pod, very cool!
- Versatility – The Gorilla Pod will attach to anything.
- Hold – Just be sure to get the right Gorilla Pod for your camera. I would recommend getting one size larger than the one you think you need.