How to Make Social Media Work For You
Subscribe to Phlearn
If you don’t like social media, you are probably doing it wrong.
We are talking Social Media all week! Today we are coming at it from a broad point of view, and talking about how social media should be used. Great advice on making real connections with people.
Today’s Episode Timeline
- 1:00 – Building Knowledge Together
- 1:30 – The Most Important Thing About Social Media
- 2:30 – We are all in a virtual sandbox
- 3:30 – Be a real person
- 5:00 – The biggest mistake I ever made with social media
- 6:10 – The big turning point, what made it all make sense
- 7:30 – This is not a place to advertise. It is a place to connect
- 10:10 – You can go a lot deeper!
- 10:50 – No one cares what you are eating
- 12:30 – What to do if you don’t like people
- 14:30 – What have you learned with Social Media?
Remember that it is Social Media
The first word is by far the most important here. Social media is not another outlet for you to broadcast a one-way conversation to people you feel should care. Make it a two-way conversation, and you will be far more successful. Not only that, but you could make some real friends in the process.
No one really cares what you had for lunch. Even you don’t care. That is not social media. What conversation were you having during lunch? Want to know something about your “user group”? Ask them. Literally, you should not have to do any thinking from now on. You should never wonder how people will respond to a business decision. There are so many people out there just waiting for a worthwhile conversation to be in. Invite them into it, and you will have a fan for life.
What to do if you don’t like people
Don’t pretend. People have excellent BS detectors, and they will see straight through you. If you do not enjoy talking with people, social media is not for you. Really. You could do more harm than good.
It is ok to have someone help you with this sort of thing, as long as you are not deceiving everyone on the other end. Tell people that someone is helping you, no one will hate you for it. In fact, they will probably be jealous and want a helper of their own.
What Works For You?
Was there a moment when everything started to make sense with social media? Was there a turning point when you actually started liking it? What works for you in getting the best interaction? What mistakes have you made?