How To Make Your Own Photo Textures
How to use your photo textures
So you have taken some amazing photos, and are excited about turning them into photo textures, now what? In this episode we cover how to turn your photo into a great texture.
Your best friend when it comes to using your image as a photo texture are BLENDING MODES. Blending modes will take the information in the image, and blend it in different ways depending on what blending mode you choose. For instance if you have an image that is mostly dark, with a few light areas, and you want the darks to dissapear, try using SCREEN or LIGHTEN. In contrast, if you want the LIGHT areas to disappear in your photo textures, try DARKEN or MULTIPLY.
Most Used Blending Modes
These will do the trick about 90% of the time.
- Soft Light
What You Will Learn
- 0:30 – Intro to textures
- 1:15 – Most common blending modes
- 1:50 – Copying your photo textures onto your image
- 2:30 – Showing an example of a texture in use
- 3:10 – Explanation of Blending modes
- 4:10 – Using levels to enhance your textures
- 5:30 – Duplicating textures to add more variation
- 6:30 – Adjusting SATURATION with the HUE/SAT slider (CMD+U)
- 7:10 – How to quickly flip through your blending modes
- 8:00 – BLEND IF adds even more control to your texture
- 9:00 – Masking out areas of your texture to make them less visible in places
- 10:20 – Why using textures at a low opacity is important
- 11:00 – What is your opinion on textures?
We are holding our first ever Chicago Meet Up with the Phamily. We are so excited to meet everyone in the area. Becoming a part of the local Phamily means you will be invited to photo shoots, special events & Phun. If you are in the area on the 5th, join us for Pizza and Beer. Click the link above to RSVP
Who do you know rocking textures?
Have you found any artists online that use textures well? If so, link to their work below so we can all see what potential these textures have. Do you like the use of photo textures? Let us know why.