The Best And Worst Parts About Using Light Meters + How To Not Use One
Why Use A Light Meter?
Light meters can provide an accurate reading on how much light your strobes are putting out, which will help you to better expose your images. There are a few things that you should keep in mind when using them, and we cover all the important stuff in this episode.
We also cover what to do if you don’t have a light meter (which is most of us)
Today’s Episode Timeline
- 0:50 -Last week’s episode
- 1:30 – Intro the light meter I use
- 2:30 – Why I chose the light meter I have
- 4:00 – why you can’t use a camera’s light meter to measure flash
- 5:00- The problem with using a light meter
- 6:45- using the spot meter on the light meter
- 7:30- different surfaces reflect light differently
- 8:40- photographing a dark object
- 10:20- How to take this info and apply it to your work!
- 11:30- Chimping (not using a light meter)
- 14:00- Why getting your exposure right is important
- 15:00- This week’s contest!
Last Week’s Contest Winners
- B Jenks
- Gábor Lénárt
- Leslie Ricken
Post your best lit image! It can be natural light, strobes, or any other artificial source.
The top 5 people with the most LIKES on their post will each win a Phlearn PRO!
Make sure to become part of the Phlearn Family on Facebook, conversate with us on Twitter, and #hashtag your Phlearn inspirations on Instagram. We want to know what the Phlearn community social chatter is about, and who is sharing it. You all keep us motivated to do our best.