What I think about 3d in Photoshop
It isn’t very good.
Here is the problem: Photoshop is THE premier 2d editor, there is no better photo editor out there, they are king; Photoshop may be one of the worst 3d model/render programs in existence. Google Sketchup, which is a FREE program is better. I feel like it taints the brand a little to be honest. There are already so many programs that do 3d very well, and by adding 3d to Photoshop, I can’t help but compare the programs.
Here are some programs that ARE good at 3d:
- 3ds Max - modeling, rendering, animation
- Cinema 4d - Modeling and rendering
- Maya - Animation and modeling
- Alias - Design
- Zbrush - Texturing and Sculpting
- Rhino - Great for complicated surfaces
- Sketchup - This program is free, and better
You will Learn Something
All is not lost, this is not just a rant episode, I do teach how to extrude shapes in Photoshop, change textures, add and soften shadows, and render.