Jul 08, 2013

Create Words From Branches Using The Clone Stamp

Create Words From Branches Using The Clone Stamp

Today we’re going to be making the branches in this image look like the word “hope”. This will be quite the challenge, as we’re going to have to bend some branches, remove some, and even create some from scratch.

We’ll start by using the liquify tool to straighten out the branch that will become the vertical part of the “P”. We can then use other branches from the picture to create the curved part using the transform and clone stamp tools.

Using the Clone Stamp On a New Layer

Since we want to be able to manipulate the branches we create from scratch, it’s important to have them on a different layer. You can clone stamp onto an empty layer by simply making sure the “sample all layers” box is checked.

Refining Our Image

Now that we have the letters created, we can use the clone stamp to make them look more realistic by adding branches and correcting the light where necessary. To bring more detail into our shadows, we can use a levels adjustment layer and pull up the greens in the shadows.

Make sure to become part of the Phlearn Family on Facebook, conversate with us on Twitter, and #hashtag your Phlearn inspirations on Instagram.


user image You
(will not be published)

  • user image
    Jeff Azoudis

    Aaron, Phlearn, Phamily. I just wanted to say thanks for providing such an awesome service. My photoshop and photography skills are improving exponentially by the day because of this site. It’s making an important difference in the quality of family portraits I’m now printing, and there’s much more emotion coming out of my photos now. So, thanks again. The time you invest in producing such a great product is felt by users like me halfway across the world. I will be a loyal pro customer for years to come.

    Switzerland, 2013

  • user image
    Barnabás Böröcz

    Hey Aaron, the “vertical bar” is simply called “bar”
    (Well I’m a little bit unsure, but actually pretty sure)
    And btw awesome episode! 🙂

  • user image
    Richie Bonilla

    Hi Aaron, the part of the type you’re looking to name is called the “Main Stroke” or “Stem” of the letter. Thank you for this amazing website!

  • user image

    This was my favorite tut so far!! I haven’t seen them all but you are amazing talented and you do make it fun to watch and PHLEARN!