7 Tips to A Better Black and White
How to use black and white in the right ways
Last week we went over color, and now we will cover black and white. Oftentimes monochrome photos can create more of an emotional impact than color does. Today I will show you a few different tricks that can give a different look and feel to your images, more so then just desaturating them.
Today’s Episode Timeline
- 0:28 – Announcing last week’s contest winners
- 1:00 -Effect black and white images can give
- 1:40 – Channel Mixer
- 2:35 – Why starting with a color image gives you more control
- 3:25 – Why you shouldn’t throw your Wacom
- 3:55 – Black and White adjustment layer
- 4:40 – Using stamp visible layers
- 6:00- Drawing attention to your subject using levels
- 6:40- Announcing the contest for this week
- 7:35- How to exaggerate lights and darks to give an antiquated look
- 9:35- Adding noise
Last Week’s Contest Winner
- Andy Parra- Great tones and use of saturation
- David Clumpner- Complimentary colors! Love it
- Daniel Cook - Cool and warm tones really work well together in this image
- Rajendra- Beautiful colors and saturation
- Dan Hanus- The red really added to this image and created focal point
This Week’s Contest
The best 5 black and white images submitted will all win Phlearn Pro tutorials. Submit your JPG in a comment for a chance to win! The contest is open until next Monday at 12PM CST.
5 People will each win 1 PRO Photoshop Tutorials.